Crime is a part of every culture in the world and, as a result, is the subject of intense research. Crime essays cover a range of topics, from crime prevention to laws and punishment.
Crime Essay – Persuasive Topics
At first glance, a persuasive essay about crime may seem unnecessary; after all, few people are proponents of crime. However, there are many sub-topics about criminal justice, and people have strong opinions about them.
- Capital Punishment – Should the biggest crimes be punished by the most final of all sentences? Take a stance for or against capital punishment and justify your position with contemporary research. You can also argue for or against certain types of capital punishment.
- Juvenile Justice System – Write an essay about juvenile offenders. Should the juvenile justice system treat young people as adult criminals, or should they attempt to rehabilitate them in youth facilities?
Other topics, such as gun control and welfare, can also be used in a crime essay. For example, you can discuss whether gun control leads to lower crime rates, or socio-economic impact of prison on society.
Crime Essay – Comparison Topics
With so many differing opinions on crime and punishment throughout the world, there are lots of comparison topics you can use for an essay about crime, such as:
- Capital Punishment vs. Life in Prison – Examine the repercussions of these stiff sentences, such as costs, ethics and prison capacity.
- Compare and Contrast the Criminal Justice System in Two Different Countries – What methods does each country use to find, prosecute and punish criminals? How is it affecting their respective societies?
- Misdemeanor vs. Felony – Discuss the similarities and differences between each classification.
Crime Essay – Exposition Topics
Crime is as old as the world itself. Even before the first police force was formed in the 19th century, criminals were caught and punished by their peers. Expository essays about crime can examine historical or contemporary events in criminal justice.
- History of Punishments – We didn’t always have jails, and some countries still use corporal punishment as a discipline method. Choose a country or time period and research the various methods of punishment used.
- Famous Criminals – Write an essay on a famous criminal or crime, like Al Capone or the St. Valentine’s Day Massacre.
- Gangs - Discuss the formation and indoctrinations used in gangs. Provide contemporary statistics and research on gang involvement and future criminality.