Medical essays aren’t just for aspiring doctors; the topic is relevant in nearly any subject, from business studies to physical education. Topics cover a range of current events, as well as history, ethics and sociology.
Medicine – Persuasive Topics
Most people agree that medical care is good and important, but this is where the harmony ends. Here are some good topics for a persuasive essay about medicine:
- Universal Health Care – It’s been in the news lately, but universal health care also touches on historical issues — such as how it has been implemented in other countries — ethics and right-to-treatment, and socio-economics. Higher level essays should isolate an issue within universal health care, to give your essay more depth.
- Right to Die – Assisted suicide is legal in some countries (like Holland) and a taboo topic in others. An essay about assisted suicide can delve into the legality in general (for or against) or illustrate the specific conditions in which assisted suicide should be acceptable.
- Health Insurance – Like universal health care, health insurance is a huge, divisive topic. Choose a sub-topic about health insurance, such as compulsory insurance, experimental treatments or the ethical considerations of denying coverage to ill patients.
- Abortion – Abortion is an incendiary topic, which makes it an obvious option for a medical essay. Discuss legality, methods, religious or ethical concerns.
Medicine – Comparison Topics
Because medical treatment differs widely around the world, there are lots of comparison topics within the subject. Here are some essay ideas:
- Treatment Options – Choose an illness, such as clinical depression or cancer, and compare and contrast the different options available.
- Treatment Availability – Compare and contrast the medical systems and availability of doctors within two areas, locally or internationally. Your thesis can also draw a conclusion about which system is better or, briefly, how the contrasting system might be improved.
- Medical History – Provide a comparison and overview of medicine throughout history, such as public opinion, doctor education or religious input into the medical community.
Medicine – Expository Topics
An expository essay about medicine will teach your audience about a specific topic. Choose a particular subject within the areas of:
- Treatment options
- Physician Qualifications
- Healthcare laws
Remember that an expository essay is used to explain something; it should not include the author’s opinion on the topic.